Heather Dees was the odds-on favorite to win the 2013 Governor’s Cup. She had won this show last year and was coming off a runner-up finish at the Figure International. The show proved to be a bit more of a challenge for Dees than her and others may have expected. She narrowly edged out crowd favorite Wendy Fortino by one point. Mallory Haldeman another top Figure Pro also had her hands full with the competition and squeaked out a third place finish over Victoria Adelus. Adelus bounced back from her St. Louis showing and held her own in this line up. Nipping at both of their heels was Ohio’s own Monica Labriola. Just one point separated 3-5 placings.
The women were compared and moved around a variety of times by head judge Sandy Williamson. The judges had their work cut out for them as no one was 100% on the money. Each woman seemed to be just a bit off in one way or another at prejudging. Check out photos from the event on Bodybuilding.com and MuscularDevelopment.com.
THE HARDBODY 411:
2013 IFBB Governor’s Cup Pro Figure Results:
1. Heather Dees - Heather was a bit off at prejudging and was holding a bit of water. She also appeared a bit nervous on stage when she presented. She’s a beautiful woman with great potential. After her second place finish at the Figure International she proved she can hang at the big shows. She’ll need to return to that form if she hopes to continue winning. Heather was a bit better at the night show and narrowly edged out Wendy Fortino by one point for the win.
2. Wendy Fortino - Wendy brought her best look to the stage since turning pro at the 2011 NPC USAs. She was confident and poised on stage. Her tan appeared a little red in color and would like to see that corrected at her next show. Wendy definitely made the necessary improvements to hang in the top spots. Look for her back on stage at the 2013 California Pro in May.
3. Mallory Haldeman - Mallory was noticeably off when she first took the stage. She had a slightly muddy tan and was much softer than we’ve seen her in the past. Mallory has the type of physique that needs to be hard in order to have that wow factor. She’s improved her posing and brought up her back but still needs to hammer the lats to add some muscle there. She’ll need to come back much harder in her next show in order to hang in the top three.
4. Victoria Adelus - Victoria had her best showing and an argument could have been made for her in third. She needs just a bit more hamstring to her legs. She has a smile that will light up the stage and it’s that kind of energy that you can’t help but gravitate towards.
5. Monica Labriola - Monica is the little engine that could. She carries more muscle than her fellow competitors but shows it well. She has incredible calves and her body continues to improve with each show. If she looked like she had at the night show during prejudging she could have easily taken third and been in the mix for the top two. She was a bit fuller and more relaxed at night and that was the winning look she needed.
6. Bojana Vasiljevic - Bojana was a bit of a surprise to many. She’s not a familiar name to the figure stage but proved she can more than hold her own. She has a super tiny waist and definitely makes you do a double take. Bojana needs to look at a different cut of suit and work on her posing a bit.
7. Elizabeth Jenkins - Elizabeth continues to climb the ranks as a pro. She’s a taller competitor so the challenge is being full and not being too muscular. She brought her best look to date and on any other day she may have been in the top five.
8. Maria Sanchez - Maria stood out from the pack when she took the stage. She needs to work on her posing from the back just a bit and not sit on her quads when posing from the front. Maria needs to watch her muscularity and just refine her posing.
9. Carin Hawkins - Carin looked good for her. She’s one of the smaller competitors so she need to come in a bit fuller and a bit more size to her frame. Would like to see her pose a bit different with her arms and hands positioning. Overall a decent showing for her.
10. Nicole Sims - Nicole is a taller competitor and is still finding her groove in the pro ranks. She needs to improve her presentation and her posing. Nicole stands a bit straight up and down and from the back doesn’t quite open up. The little details make a big difference in the pro ranks.
11. Rebekah Willich -Rebekah has nice delts and a tiny waist. Would like to see add a bit more with to her back and come in just a bit fuller. She has the potential to move up in future shows.
12. Jennifer DeJoya – Jennifer has been in the ranks for awhile. When she competed years ago she would come in too hard many times. This time around she wasn’t too hard but was a bit too muscular. Jennifer lost a bit of her flow and needs to come in a bit smaller and tighter.
13. Leah Berti - Leah has a pretty face and a nice overall look. She came in a bit too muscular in her lower half, specifically her quads. She’s a little shallow in her upper body from the front and needs a bit more width to her lats from the back. Some fine tuning with her training and prep and she’ll fair better.
14. Amanda Doherty - Amanda made the long trip from Australia to compete and gets the award for longest flight time. When it comes to her physique it was hard to get a good gauge of it because of her posing. Amanda’s posing was off and it undoubtedly effected her placings. If she can improve her presentation she’ll fair better.
15. Kiana Phi - Kiana has huge delts and they are the first thing that jump out at you. She needs a bit more of a tear drop to her quads and from the back come in a bit tighter. Would also like to see her have a different suit cut from the back on the bottoms.
16. Georgina Lona - Georgina came in a big bigger and fuller than she has in the past. She still wears her signature yellow suit but not sold on it helping her. She needs to come in a bit tighter and work on her posing. Her posing has her scrunched up and if she opens up her shoulders a bit she’ll present much better.
16. Heidi Sorsa - Heidi was off with her tan to her conditioning. It just wasn’t a good showing for her in this line up. If she can bring up her quads and come in with better conditioning she’ll improve in her placings.
16. Katerina Tarbox - She had a nice suit and from the back presented decent. When posing from the front Katerina posed a bit straight up and down and needs to work on her arm positioning. She looked better at the evening show and a challenge with her is not being too vascular in her upper body.
16. Kenyatta Jones-Arietta - Kenyatta seemed a bit off in her conditioning. Would like to see her come in a bit tighter and work on her presentation. When she present she tends to make odd facial expressions. If she can come in smaller and present better she’ll improve in her placings.
16. Marci Colliau - Marci is a bit shallow in her upper body and a little too muscular in her quads. She poses a bit straight up and down and it hurts her appearance. Would like to see her rock her hips back a bit when posing.
Overall it was a competitive line-up with no clear cut winner. Shows like this remind everyone that the little details can make or break you on where you finish.