Kick Cravings With Healthy Alternatives
Nutrition Expert Explains How To Tame Your Junk Food Urges
Now that 2015 is well under way, millions of people have all but abandoned their New Yearâ€™s resolutions to eat healthy and lose weight. However, with recent statistics showing that the obesity rate in theÂ United StatesÂ has reached 27.7% (the highest obesity rate ever), now is not the time to give into your cheese fry cravings.
Luckily, it is possible to eat healthy and drop pounds without suffering. Celebrity fitness/nutrition expert and creator ofÂ The Lifestyle Renovation Joey Thurman explains how:
5 Ways to Kick Cravings
1. Â Start Smart. People say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. â€œThat may be true,â€ says Thurman, â€œBut all too often I see people use this mantra as an excuse to load up on Sausage McMuffins or donuts in the office break room. Thatâ€™s not doing your waist (or your heart) any favors. Instead, get up 15 minutes earlier and make yourself a warm breakfast at home, be that steel-cut oats with fresh fruit or an omelet with sweet potato hash.â€
2. Â Eat for the Body You Want, Not The Body You Have. â€œPeople have a defeatist attitude when it comes to their body. They think â€˜I am already fat, why not have another slice of pizza? But this type of thinking is what keeps people stuck in unhealthy lifestyles,â€ says Thurman, â€œAsk yourself: â€˜If I was 10 pounds lighter, what would I eat for lunch today? Would I have the burger or the salad?â€™ Think with your thin self in mind.â€
3. Â Think Clean. Counting calories can be overwhelming and boring. â€œInstead of reading labels and counting points, just start focusing on eating clean, whole foods,â€ says Thurman. â€œStop buying processed foods and eating out. Make your own dinner and bring your lunch. You will save money and look better as a result.â€
4. Â Stop Giving Up. â€œIf you are tired of starting over, stop giving up,â€ says Thurman. â€œItâ€™s time to stop thinking about this as a temporary diet. Itâ€™s a lifestyle change, a total and complete renovation.â€
5. Harness the Power of Juicing. â€œI love fresh fruits and veggies, especially when they are juiced (or blended,) and easy for me to take on the go. For example, I blend my veggies in a Nutribullet or blender to make sure I get all of the nutrients AND fiber! I often blend pineapple, lemon, spinach, cucumber, and cayenne pepper whenever I want energyâ€¦best of all, it boosts the metabolism as well!â€
About Joey Thurman:
Joey Thurman is a health, fitness, and nutrition expert and the creator ofÂ The Lifestyle Renovation, a website dedicated to helping people achieve their health and fitness goals. He hasÂ appearedÂ on CBS, FOX, ABC, and WCIU sharing his insights as a celebrity fitness trainer and published author. Joeyâ€™s work has been featured in publications such asÂ BodyBuilding.com,Â Racked, TimeOut Chicago, RedEye,Â and American Global Traveler. Joey is a fashion model represented by Chosen Model Management where he works with brands including Neiman Marcus, Abercrombie, Jockey, and Carson Pirie Scott. He has alsoÂ appearedÂ on the covers ofÂ Healthy for MenÂ andÂ TimeOut Chicago. Joey is aÂ Certified Personal TrainerÂ (CPT) with the American Council on Exercise, a Fitness Nutrition Specialist (FNS) and a FITchef. For more information, please visitÂ www.thelifestylerenovation.comÂ and follow Joey on Instagram and Twitter at @JoeyThurmanFit.