Adela Garcia has successfully etched herself into history as the most decorated IFBB fitness champion of all-time. She hasn’t been defeated since 2007 and shows no signs of slowing down. Adela beat out a very competitive line-up en route to her seventh Fitness Olympia title in Las Vegas, Nevada. Sixteen women competed in 2012 Fitness Olympia and fans were treated to an amazing display of strength, endurance and flexibility. See photos from the event here.
The Hardbody 411:
1. Adela Garcia - Adela was the odds-on favorite heading into the show and with good reason. You have to go all the way back to the 2007 Houston Pro to find a show she hasn’t won. She finished 3rd at that contest but hasn’t lost since. She was sidelined in 2008 by a knee injury but hasn’t let that stop her. Adela’s physique was on point and looked as sharp as ever at this year’s show. She struggled a bit in parts of her routine however her strength moves and endurance throughout were enough in the judges’ eyes to keep her retain her title. Will she be back for her 8th title next year? If I were a gambling man, I’d bet she will.
2. Oksana Grishina – Oksana has become a bit of a fan favorite over the years. She still struggles to find balance with her physique and posing but makes up for it in the routine round. Oksana was in 8th place heading into the final/routine round. She performed beautifully and won the routine portion, which counts for 2/3 of the final score. The performance launched her into the runner-up position.
3. Tina Durkin – Tina brought her best physique and routine to the stage and it paid off. She was at her best in the physique round (where she was second) and she really stepped up her game in the routine round. She looked like she was having fun on stage and you could tell she was confident with what she presented.
4. Myriam Capes – Myriam brought her best physique to date and showed that persistence and patience pays off. She has steadily refined her physique and it’s helped her become a contender in every show she enters. She brought a routine that showcased incredible strength however lacked the high energy, face paced entertainment the judges are drawn to. She did pick up the pace in the second half of the routine and if it was choreographed to be that fast-paced throughout she would have been higher.
5. Tanji Johnson – Tanji has become a bit of wild card in fitness. We never know which Tanji will show up. When she’s in condition and brings high energy to the routine round she’s a contender for the title. When she doesn’t she fades away from the spotlight. She was in good condition for the physique round, not great but good and held her own. She didn’t wow the crowd like she has in previous routines and it was a safe performance. Fans and judges have come to know Tanji to combine strength and dance along with entertainment. It was entertaining but lacked the strength moves judges are looking for.
6. Bethany Cisternino – Bethany has one of the best physiques in the fitness division, she can and has held her own on a figure stage. She brought a great look once again with her physique but didn’t quite match it in the routine rounds. She has the skill set and the ability to nail a top routine. She was in the middle of the pack with the routine round and she slipped to sixth. Bethany has the potential to be in the top three with a little routine refinement.
Others of note:
Ryall Graber-Vasani was the one competitor I thought should have been in the top 6. She brought a nicely conditioned and balanced physique to the 2-piece round. Despite the scores, I thought she had one of the better routines of the night. She had high energy, good strength moves and kept the pace throughout.
Jodi Boam didn’t seem like her usual smiley, upbeat self throughout the weekend. I had a chance to speak with her after the finals and she shared she wasn’t close to her best. She was happy to even make it to the show after suffering a knee injury. Hopefully the injury doesn’t require surgery and we see her back on her game.
2012 Fitness Olympia Results (scorecard below):
1. Adela Garcia
2. Oksana Grishina
3. Tina Durkin
4. Myriam Capes
5. Tanji Johnson
6. Bethany Cisternino
7. Ryall Graber-Vasani
8. Camala Rodriguez
9. Regiane DaSilva
10. Kizzy Vaines
11. Vanda Hadarean
12. Danielle Ruban
13. Jodi Boam
14. Fiona Harris
15. Nicole Duncan
16. Hollie Stewart